On May 20, 1899, the eleven women who made up the Combine were installed as the Kappa Chapter of Alpha Phi. Initiation was conducted by the only Alpha Phi's known to be on the coast: Constance Smith (Beta-Northwestern) who was teaching at Stanford; Gertrude Payne Bridgeford (Delta-Cornell) who was teaching in San Jose, and Harriet McCasky (Beta-Northwestern) who was living in Los Angeles. Iota Chapter generously lent their new sisters their pins to wear until Kappa Chapter received their own. Alpha and Iota sent telegrams of congratulations. Kappa Chapter was the first Alpha Phi chapter to be established in the west, and was the tenth Alpha Phi chapter to be established in the United States.