Share
×

Share on Social Media

Powered by
HistoryIT | We Give History A Future

Gamma Eta

University of North Texas

Apr 24th, 1954

Founding Date

One of the finest local groups, at North Texas State, Phi Sigma Alpha, petitioned Alpha Phi and was accepted by the executive board. On March 24, 1954, Phi Sigma Alpha’s were welcomed to Alpha Phi with Marian Wiley Keyes (Alpha-Syracuse), director of alumnae and extension, officiating. Thirty-seven Omega Alpha Phis as well as alumnae from Dallas and Fort Worth were present.

 

Following formal initiation on Saturday afternoon, April 24, 130 new and old members attended the big banquet at Marquis Hall on the North Texas campus. 

 

Toastmistress was Omega’s Miriam Brown Keeler lately back from England. From Alpha Phi’s “official family” were Clara Ingwerson Gregson (Iota-Wisconsin), retiring president of Alpha Phi; Doris Corbett (Beta-Northwestern), secretary-treasurer; Margaret Morns Holman (Upsilon-Washburn), district governor, and two committee leads: Lucy Hart Finnerty (Phi-Oklahoma), scholarship, and Belle Baker Montgomery (Gamma-DePauw), magazine agency. 

 

The actual charter signing and presentation of charter took place on Sunday, April 25, with Clara Gregson presiding at the ceremony; with all the women signing the charter. Both formal and impressive was the presentation of the charter to Barbara Cosgrove.