Share
×

Share on Social Media

Powered by
HistoryIT | We Give History A Future

Gamma Epsilon

Lake Forest College

May 24th, 1952

Founding Date

The Gamma Epsilon chapter of Alpha Phi was installed at Lake Forest College in the spring of 1952. Formal initiation was held on May 24 at the Northwestern (Beta) chapter house, with the Beta collegiates officiating. Afterward the executive board feted the initiates at a gala luncheon at the North Shore Hotel--with many North Shore alumnae as interested guests. 

 

The executive board were hostesses at the luncheon honoring Gamma Epsilon with International President, Clara Ingwersen Gregson (Iota-Wisconsin), as toastmistress, Marian Murphy Strader (Beta-Northwestern), past international president, as principal speaker, Stephanie Carroll giving a welcoming message from Beta chapter with Lura Mae Gibson responding for Gamma Epsilon. Others at the speakers’ table were Doris R. Corbett (Beta-Northwestern), secretary-treasurer; Edna Rattray McGuire (Beta-Northwestern), director of finance; Margaret I. Carr (Iota-Wisconsin), state chairman; Margaret Whitlock Barton (Beta-Northwestern), district governor and chairman of installation; Jean Morrow Meeg (Chi-Montana), advisor to Gamma Epsilon; Janet Powers McGurn (Beta-Northwestern), assistant (then) editor of the Quarterly; Patricia Stevenson, president of Beta chapter. 

 

On Sunday afternoon, May 25, there was a reception at Lois Durand Hall for the new chapter. Alpha Phi and Sigma Tau alumnae, parents, faculty members and representatives of other students groups were the guests. In the receiving line at this party were: Pat Cambridge, president of Gamma Epsilon; Mrs. Gregson, Mrs. McGuire, Mrs. Ernest Johnson and Dr. Johnson, president of the college and Miss Marjorie Bennett, dean of women. 

 

One lovely added feature of the installation was an offer from Mr. Russ, husband of one of Sigma Tau’s advisors, Helen Clark Russ, to endow a scholarship award for the freshman woman with the highest scholastic average for the year. It would be called the Alpha Phi scholarship but recipients did not need to be members of Alpha Phi.

 

After many years away from campus, the Gamma Epsilon chapter proudly made its return to Lake Forest College on October 3, 2004. The Court of Ivy ceremony was conducted on October 1, 2004. Initiation was held at the home of one of the alumnae in Libertyville. Foundation Board Chair Susan Weiskittle Barrick (Beta Omicron-Bowling Green) presented a scholarship badge and the Foundation's traditional $1,000 gift in celebration of the chapter's installation. Gamma Epsilon designated the gift to the Cardiac Rehabilitation Center at the Victory Memorial Hospital in Waukegan. The highlight of the installation was the presentation of the new charter by International Executive Board Member Lindsay Wiggins (Beta Pi-USC) and the president's gavel by past International President Jean Cameron (Gamma Nu-Miami University). Many in the audience were pleased when new members were surprised with the charter from the original chapter, especially Gamma Epsilon alumnae.