Delta Epsilon Chapter of Alpha Phi was installed on the campus of the state University of Iowa at Iowa City on April 15 and 16, a cold, windy and snowy weekend. The coming of Alpha Phi to SUI makes 14 Panhellenic groups on the campus. All groups on this campus were housed, and by fall Alpha Phi would be “at home” at 906 East College Street, in a mid-Victorian house on a spacious corner lot.
Alpha Phi was extended an invitation from the Panhellenic association at Iowa the previous fall, and three Alpha Phi transfer students, Barbara Hague (Rho-Ohio State); Barbara Whiteside (Gamma Omicron-Drake), and Cynthia Selchert (Psi-South Dakota), took on the task of forming the new chapter. The proof of their success was reflected in the 32 collegiate initiates of Delta Epsilon chapter.
Initiation services for the new Alpha Phis were performed on Saturday morning, April 15, by the three Alpha Phi transfer students with the assistance of members of the Gamma Omicron chapter at Drake University and the Nu chapter at University of Nebraska. The initiation was held in the University Club rooms of the Iowa Memorial Union and was followed by a model meeting conducted by the members of Gamma Omicron and Nu chapters.
Installation ceremonies were held that evening at the Elks Club, under the direction of Jean Morrow Meeg (Chi-Montana), director of extension. Madeline Girard (Nu-Nebraska), district alumnae chairman, acted as toastmistress for the installation banquet following. Speakers included Jean Meeg; Nadine Hemmingson Thornton (Psi-South Dakota), chapter adviser; Miss Helen Reich, assistant director of student affairs; JoAnn Noonan, and Barbara Hague.
Sunday afternoon brought a reception for parents, faculty and friends at the Iowa Memorial Union to end the festivities of the installation weekend. And to be congratulated along with the new initiates were for local alumnae who had nurtured the group during its period of establishment and who had directed the installation.
906 E College Street, Iowa City, Iowa
• Linda Groves – International Executive Board; Foundation Board; NPC Delegate
• Ruth Gallagher Nelson – International Executive Board; NPC Delegate
• Jan Henderson Prinz – International Executive Board
• Patricia Scanlin Hicks - 1974 Ursa Major Award Winner
• Faye Hyde Strayer - 1976 Ursa Major Award Winner
• Martha Glazener Wayner – 1978 Ursa Major Award Winner
• Bonnie Glasgow Smith – 1980 Michaelanean Award Winner
• Gail Stettner Holz - 1982 Michaelanean Award Winner
• Judith Lochmann Kratzer – 1986 Michaelanean Award Winner
• Nancy Weaver Roach – 2008 Michaealanean Award Winner
Apr 15th, 1961