By the fall of 1959 the local sororities at East Carolina College in Greenville, North Carolina, had begun plans to affiliate with nationals, and Alpha Phi was interested. After some discussion and decisions, Alpha Phi came to campus, and on the weekend of February 6-7, after a new member period of three months, the one-year-old Phi Beta Chi sorority was installed as Delta Alpha of Alpha Phi.
The installation was held at the Memorial Baptist Church on Saturday afternoon. Earlene Poole, president of Duke (Beta Nu) chapter, conducted the initiation, along with West Virginia (Beta Iota). Present for the installation were, Frances Cottrell Hoefer (Alpha-Syracuse), vice-president; Elinor Smith Davis (Gamma-DePauw), director of extension; Mary Eloise Fisher Slaughter (Beta Alpha-Illinois), district governor, and Billie Keeton Turner (Beta Zeta-Idaho), district alumnae chairman. Especially virtual was Pat Morrison Stauffer (Beta Iota-West Virginia), who had been the chapter’s hard-working adviser since the new member period.
Saturday night an installation banquet was held at Repress Brothers Restaurant in Greenville. Guests at the banquet were Dr. Ralph Brimley, director of public relations at the college; Dr. John Horne, registrar, and many Alpha Phi alumnae members and family. Billie Turner acted as toastmistress for the banquet, and welcomes were given to the chapter by Dr. Brimley, Elinor Davis, Mary Slaughter, Earlene Poole, and Catherine Crow, Beta Iota president. Frances Hoefer gave the address at the banquet. The charter was presented to Bobbie Ann Bethune, president of the new chapter, by Elinor Davis. Dr. Horne accepted the charter from Bobbie Ann on behalf of the administration.
Sunday morning, a model meeting was given by the Beta Iota chapter, and Sunday afternoon, a reception was given in honor of all eight sororities on campus by the City Panhellenic Council.