The Lone Star of Texas shined even more brightly in the Alpha Phi constellation with the installation of Gamma Omega chapter at Midwestern University in Wichita Falls. The members of Texas’ fifth chapter received their new member pins in September, 1959, participated in Midwestern’s first recruitment last fall and graduated to chapter status in ceremonies on December 5.
Impressive ceremonies conducted by representatives from North Texas (Gamma Eta) and Oklahoma (Phi) chapters and witnessed by national visitors and area alumnae initiated seventeen charter and nine alumnae members on Saturday afternoon at the Woman’s Forum in Wichita Falls. Immediately following the services a model meeting was conducted by the initiating body in the chapter room on the Midwestern campus.
Welcoming messages from Dr. Travis White, president of the university, and Viola Grady, dean of women, opened the program of the installation banquet held that evening in the Art Room of the Forum. Serving as toastmistress for the occasion was Dr. Madge Davis (Omega-Texas), chapter advisor of Gamma Omega, who is chairman of Midwestern’s department of English and journalism. Contributing to the “Alpha Phi Toujours” theme of the banquet program were International President, Elizabeth Thompson Smith (Omega-Texas); Governor of District VII, Ruth Jones Jayred (Beta Delta-UCLA); District Alumnae Chairman, Jesse Mary Hill (Omega-Texas); Chapter Financial Adviser, Billie Hallmark Mills (Omega-Texas), Chapter President and Sandra Allison.
Sunday the newly initiated, visitors and local alumnae attended the first services held in the First Christian Church’s new sanctuary located near the university campus.
The presentation of the chapter charter by Elizabeth Thompson Smith immediately preceded a reception held Sunday afternoon honoring the new initiates. Guests included members of the Board of Directors of the university, university staff members, parents of the new initiates, members of other campus organizations, local and area alumnae and students.
The newest Alpha Phis did not necessarily need formal introductions as a group at Midwestern, since Chi Gamma, the local that petitioned Alpha Phi, was seven years old, beginning in 1952 as the Cowgirls, a service organization. This group became known as Chi Gamma in 1957 and had an illustrious campus history, its members having been leaders in virtually every organization on campus.