Share
×

Share on Social Media

Powered by
HistoryIT | We Give History A Future

Gamma Psi

Ripon College

Oct 24th, 1959

Founding Date

Once there was a local sorority at Ripon College in Ripon, Wisconsin, called Kappa Sigma Chi sorority, and it was a very outstanding sorority, too. The little sorority longed to be part of a bigger sorority, one that was outstanding on many campuses. So they sent a petition to a big national sorority asking if they could join with it, and the Executive Board of the big national sorority considered the case and decided to say “yes.” So on October 24, 1959, a delegation from the big national sorority went up to Wisconsin and with special ceremonies transformed Kappa Sigma Chi into Gamma Psi chapter of Alpha Phi. 

 

Initiation services for the new chapter were performed by Wisconsin (Iota) and Wisconsin Stout (Gamma Sigma) chapters at the Iota chapter house in Madison, and the evening installation banquet was held at the Carvers Restaurant in Green Lake. Toastmistress at the banquet was Charlotte Coolidge Royce (Nu-Nebraska), chapter adviser, and guest speaker was Edith Huey Shelton (Beta-Northwestern), director of alumnae. Floral arrangements for the tables of silver candelabra and bordeaux carnations were brought from Illinois by Grace Hayden Walker (Beta-Northwestern), district alumnae chairman.

 

Other Alpha Phi national officers present were Elinor Smith Davis (Gamma-DePauw), director of extension; Margaret Hubbel Aspinwall (Beta Epsilon-Arizona), district governor; Margaret Knights (Beta Nu-Duke), Quarterly Editor, and Virginia Bradford DeLong (Beta-Northwestern), collegiate secretary.