The Beta Omega chapter was installed on June 5, at Kent State University, Kent, Ohio. The setting for this memorable occasion was the Akron Women’s City Club. The entire second floor was reserved for Alpha Phi on that day. There were lovely large rooms for the initiation itself, and the banquet room was on the same floor, with a spacious lounge in which to relax before dinner.
Thirty-six former Alpha Omega collegiates were initiated in the morning, and 32 of their alumnae in the afternoon. Marion Murphy Strader, International President, presided magnificently over the initiation and installation ceremonies, assisted by Mary Frances Badger (Omicron-Missouri), who had been working tirelessly for weeks to see that everything was arranged to perfection.
Toastmistress of the installation banquet was Christine Grigges Maxwell (Iota-Wisconsin), from Cleveland, who in spite of a bad cold, introduced the speakers with delightful charm. The theme for the banquet was “Alpha Phi Before the World.” The speakers were: Doris Priode (Rho-Ohio State), who talked on “The Ivy Leaf,” Jeanne Cooke (Beta Omega-Kent State), whose subject was, “Lily of the Valley,” and Mary Frances Badger, who spoke on “The Forget-Me-Not.” Jessica Lozier Payne (Alpha-Syracuse) made an impromptu speech that brought tears to many about what Alpha Phi had meant to her during her amazing career as a journalist.
On Sunday, June 6, a reception honoring Beta Omega was held at Moulton Hall, a woman’s dormitory, on the Kent State campus.
• The Beta Omega chapter house is located at 1063 Fraternity Circle, just a short walk from the front of Kent State's Campus. Newly renovated in 2017, the house is home to 32 live-in members, with eight apartment-style rooms. Each is home to four members including a main living area, kitchen, full bathroom, and two bedrooms. The newest renovation includes a sound-proof study room where any member can come and do their school work. All live-in members receive their own personal parking spot, and there are additional spots for members and guests visiting the house.
• 1063 Fraternity Circle, Kent, Ohio
• Peg DeChant Thornburg – International Executive Board
• Carol Evans Warren – International Executive Board
• Frances Grant Baumberger - 1976 Michaelanean Award Winner
• Lois Lister Roskens – 1976 Ursa Major Award Winner
• Joan Reilly Smith - 1976 Michaelanean Award Winner
• Cornelia Kuchenbacker Smith - 1986 Michaelanean Award Winner
• Frances Hodnett Dunlavy – 1988 Michaelanean Award Winner
• Marilyn Bracken Ruckman – 2012 Ursa Major Award Winner
• Jodi Sittig – 2020 Ursa Major Award Winner
Alpha Phifa Soccer Tournaments">