Share
×

Share on Social Media

Powered by
HistoryIT | We Give History A Future

Rho

Ohio State University

Mar 30th, 1912

Founding Date

On March 30, 1912, Alpha Phi installed Rho chapter at Ohio State University. The new chapter was the result of three years of work by dedicated members of a local fraternity, “Lambda Alpha,” which had formed in November 1909. With the help of several Alpha Phi alumnae who resided in Columbus—Bertha Mansfield Freeman (Eta-Boston), Myra Hewitt Banta (Iota-Wisconsin), and Stella Boothe (Lambda-UC Berkeley), whose “advice and aid which we appreciate at its highest value”—the group sought to petition for a charter, and in the interim rented their own house, eventually becoming the first women’s fraternity at Ohio State University to do so. President Jessie Thompson Balderston performed the initiation of the new members at their own chapter house. Afterwards, the “entire party was conveyed from the Chapter House to the hotel in automobiles and when all were assembled were escorted to a beautifully prepared banquet” at the Virginia Hotel. “We are told that perfect patience will have its reward,” Jessie noted after the happy installation had been completed, “and such was surely the case with Rho chapter.”