Minnesota’s second chapter in 84 years was added to Alpha Phi. Delta Omicron, St. Cloud State College was formally installed on April 4, 1964.
Delta Omicron chapter originated as the Minerva Literary Society, the first sorority on campus, in 1907. In 1962, the members formally changed their name to Chi Eta Phi.
In 1963, the search for a national fraternity consistent with the ideals of Chi Eta Phi began in full swing.
In September the local group was notified of its acceptance. In October a ceremony took place at Epsilon chapter on the University of Minnesota campus.
Delta Omicron was fortunate not only to have Ede Barnes (Beta Alpha-Illinois) and Carol Bondurant (Gamma Chi-Portland State), field secretaries, present but also to have a “built-in field secretary.” Betty Ivy, a transfer Alpha Phi from Psi (South Dakota), was a wonderful asset to the group. Without Betty, there would have been many new member questions unanswered.
The installation and initiation were conducted at the college by visiting collegiates of Epsilon (Minnesota), Delta Kappa (Wisconsin La Crosse) and Gamma Sigma (Wisconsin Stout).
Mary Carr Boyd (Omicron-Missouri), assistant vice president, delivered the main address at the Sherburne Room of the Germain Hotel. Other national officers attending the installation ceremonies for Delta Omicron were: Billie Turner (Beta Zeta-Idaho); Janet Thomas Bennitt; Nancy Barry Bender (Beta-Northwestern), District V alumnae chairman, and Alberta Hart Robertson (Pi-North Dakota), District VI alumnae chairman.