California State University, East Bay
The installation of Eta Delta chapter at California State University Hayward on April 11, 1987, marked the eighth California State University campus on which Alpha Phi established a chapter. Eta Delta was the sixteenth Alpha Phi chapter installed in California since Kappa chapter, Stanford University, was installed in 1899.
Installation weekend began with the Court of Ivy Ceremony conducted by members of Zeta Gamma chapter, Santa Clara University. After the ceremony, Field Representatives Karen Ohnemus Lisko (Beta Epsilon-Arizona) and Renee Roux Burns (Beta Delta-UCLA) led sisterhood games and conducted song practice. The new members spent the night at the Beta Psi chapter house in San Jose. In the morning, the initiation ceremony was conducted by Beta Psi (San Jose State) collegians assisted by advisers, two Field Representatives, District Governor April Bishop (Gamma Delta-Kansas) and International President Sally McCall Grant (Gamma-DePauw). A model meeting followed the initiation ceremony.
In the afternoon, a reception was held in the beautiful Hayward Student Union overlooking the bay. Sheila Silcox (Beta Psi-San Jose State), was the installation chairman, and Michelle Marchant (Lambda-UC Berkeley), International Administrator of Standards, was the mistress of ceremonies. Representing the Alpha Phi Foundation, District Alumnae Chairman Lita Putnam Schaffer (Delta Gamma-Northern Colorado) presented a $1,000 check to Dean Van Metre, President of St. Rose’s Hospital (Hayward) for use in Heart Research. Lita also presented a traveling scholarship pin from the Alpha Phi Foundation to the Eta Delta vice president, Joanne Wilson.
International President Sally Grant conducted the chartering ceremony and presented the charter to chapter president Trixie Nerke, who responded with words of inspiration about her aspiration for the chapter. Chapter members entertained family and friends with Alpha Phi songs, and the exciting installation weekend was completed.