Beautiful spring weather set the backdrop as Alpha Phi International Fraternity feted its newest chapter, Zeta Psi at the University of Dayton, during the installation weekend of April 13-14, 1985, in Dayton, Ohio. Alpha Phi was the first NPC sorority on the campus, but there had long been local Greeks at Dayton. The local sorority, Omega, petitioned to become Zeta Psi chapter of Alpha Phi. There were six women’s local sororities remaining at the time of Alpha Phi’s beginnings in November, and it was expected that they would shortly petition to become nationals.
Zeta Psi had shown a remarkable propensity to grow and skyrocket in size from the time the local’s affiliation with Alpha Phi became known. There were 78 collegiates and seven alumni initiates. Alpha Phi volunteers from across Ohio and the country were present on installation weekend to welcome the newest members. International President Nancy Wittgen Burks DeVoe (Gamma-DePauw) and Vice-President Lise Edwards Ricketts (Epsilon Alpha-Ashland), Mary Berkmoes Peterson (Delta Omega-Minnesota State Moorhead) and Mary Brugenhemke Jung (Beta Alpha-Illinois) represented the Executive Board. International Ceremonies and Ritual Chairman Phyllis Sims Selig (Gamma Delta-Kansas) installed the new chapter. District officers in attendance included District Alumnae Chairman Artie Schafrick Zaller (Beta Omicron-Bowling Green), District Governor Nancy Hurst Buckman (Iota-Wisconsin) and incoming District Governor Dianne Hovanec (Beta Omicron-Bowling Green). Alpha Phi’s music chairman, Judy Kay Schmidt Mead (Delta Gamma-Northern Colorado), offered her talents as well, Field Representatives Bonnie Flickinger Kovacevich (Beta Zeta-Idaho) and Patty Tellep Axelrod (Rho-Ohio State) kept busy with the candidates throughout the weekend. An informal pizza party Saturday evening attended by the candidates and Alpha Phis preceded the Court of Ivy as presented by Rho chapter, Ohio State University. Following the initiation ceremony on Sunday morning, a reception hosted by the Dayton Alumnae Chapter under the direction of Installation Chairman Ann Lucas Bale (Delta Pi-Indiana State), honored the new initiates, Dr. Walter Guilard, Director of Greek Life for the University of Dayton, spoke on behalf of the university, welcoming Alpha Phi as the first national sorority on campus. During the Chartering Ceremony, parents and friends witnessed the charter signing, signaling Zeta Psi’s permanence in Alpha Phi history. In reinforcing Alpha Phi’s commitment to the community, the Alpha Phi Foundation honored the new chapter by presenting a $1,000 check to the cardiac unit of the Good Samaritan Hospital of Dayton. Dayton Alumnae Chapter president, Juli Schneeber Wilson (Gamma Nu-Miami University), presented Zeta Psi president Kelly Lee (Zeta Psi-Dayton) with the jeweled chapter president’s badge. Alumnae chairman Artie Schafrick Zaller (Beta Omicron-Bowling Green) presented the Zeta Psi scholarship chairman with a sapphire Alpha Phi badge on behalf of the Alpha Phi Foundation, highlighting the importance of scholarship to the Fraternity.
When the local sorority joined Alpha Phi, the university gave the Zeta Psi Chapter the use of a larger house built in 1940 at 1302 Brown Street, near the entrance to the campus. That building, formerly home to the men's basketball team, has been the Alpha Phi house ever since. There are a total of 8 beds the chapter house can have occupied.
Apr 14th, 1985