Share
×

Share on Social Media

Powered by
HistoryIT | We Give History A Future

Gamma Phi

Florida State University

May 1st, 1959

Founding Date

The Gamma Phi chapter of Alpha Phi was first installed at Florida State University in 1959.

 

The May 16 installation weekend began with a talk to the new members by Jean Morrow Meeg (Chi-Montana), director of programs. Then with an impressive group of national visitors, alumnae from 12 chapters and collegiates from Alabama (Beta Mu), Rollins (Beta Lambda) and Georgia State (Gamma Mu) as witnesses, the new member class was initiated in the Episcopal chapel on campus.

 

That evening brought the presentation of the chapter charter by Elinor Smith Davis (Gamma-DePauw), director of extension, and the installation banquet in the Magnolia Room of the Floridan Hotel. Highlighting the banquet was Dean Katherine Warren’s welcoming speech. Guests at the speakers’ table were Elinor Davis; Jean Meeg; Ilah Winter Grant (Theta-Michigan), governor of District II; Madelene Sawyer (Eta-Boston), toastmistress; Janet Belknap Randel (Beta Kappa-Denison); Lynn French, collegiate president; Susan VanWinkle, new member adviser, and Jane Mims. Additional guests were Doris Corbett (Beta-Northwestern), executive secretary; Annette Lange Seaton (Gamma-DePauw), past district governor, and Karen Redding (Gamma Nu-Miami University), field secretary. The banquet was climaxed by the presentation of gifts from other Alpha Phi chapters and the national officers. 

 

Sunday the new initiates and visitors attended the Tallahassee Methodist Church where they were officially welcomed to the town. After the service the model chapter meeting was presented by the Alabama collegiates.

 

On March 19, 2011, Alpha Phi International Fraternity celebrated the reinstallation of its Gamma Phi chapter at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida. In April of 2010, Alpha Phi accepted an invitation to reestablish. The weekend kicked off with the Court of Ivy ceremony held in Miller Hall, the location of Alpha Phi’s preference six months earlier, and the place where many new initiates received their bids. Initiation followed Saturday at St. John’s Episcopal Church, where Alpha Phi welcomed one-hundred and forty-six initiates, including five alumnae initiates, into the chapter. A successful installation banquet took place the following day at the Golden Eagle Country Club with more than three-hundred guests and numerous Gamma Phi alumnae in attendance.